Monday, February 8, 2016

Cleo's Lair Thumbnails

I'm going to be working on a piece of art for my comic, Villain Quest.  I have recently been doing sketches for most of the environments that will show up in the comic, and "Cleo's Lair" ended up being one of my favorites so far, therefore, I decided I wanted to do a rendered illustration to serve as a promotional piece of sorts for the comic.
Here's a quick run-through of where I am so far.


I started off by gathering some references and images I found inspiration from to get a better idea in my head of how the location would look.  Some of them are paintings or photographs I found from the various art blogs I follow on Tumblr, some are my own photos and I also like to include a handful of color pallets to get ideas from.


Using my inspiration collage as a guideline, I then did rough sketches to quickly express ideas.  Occasionally sketching out an overhead helps me to visualize the area better.







After I scanned in the sketches, I picked one to paint over and made a few small color thumbnails.


This is where I am right now.
Next I'll chose one of these color comps to base my final illustration on, then comes sketches for the composition (which will likely be similar to what I used for the color comps), then a final sketch, inking, ect.
I'll post an update in the future when I'm further along, or possibly when I'm finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment